Saturday, February 26, 2022

Quick Shots: Young Guns II

 

Young Guns II was one of my absolute favorite movies when I was a teen.  I saw both the first and second in the theater.  In retrospect, Young Guns is the superior film.  Better story, better character development, an overall much more grounded film, although it’s hard to see that through the lens of the Brat Pack cast.  For a 15 year old, Young Guns II was the way to go.  The movie is much closer to the Schwarzenegger / Stallone / Van Damme action films that filled out my weekends.  The shootouts are great, there’s a steady stream of one-liners, and Christian Slater’s take on “Arkansas” Dave Rudabaugh tips the cast of characters just over the line to over the top.  If Young Guns is trying to be a film, Young Guns II is comfortably a movie.

It was also the first time I ever fell in love with a saloon girl, saw a bare behind in a theater, and saw that a bunch of people might just get naked and drunk together for the sheer hell of it (as Pat Garrett recounts in the film).  Every time this movie ever ran on cable I’d hang along long enough to see this scene.




No comments:

Post a Comment