Thursday, August 25, 2011

Cowboy Covers- Tainted Love


Between work, cardiac recovery, writing my novel, and preparing for Hurricane Irene, I haven’t had much energy to write in the blog lately, so we’ll stick to another batch of covers tonight.  More pulps this time, all proclaiming dubious versions of cowgirl romance.  Dubious because they mostly also show said cowgirls being variously whipped or branded.  You think people are kinky now because of easy access to sexual perversion on the internet?  This stuff was apparently been around in mass media when our grandparents were growing up.  Like I said before, Westerns attract all kinds.

Also, because I love it, my favorite version of Tainted Love from Generation Kill.







2 comments:

  1. The covers remind me of the books I would see on my grandfathers table. Not only did the
    Western covers look like this, but other genre's did also. It would be interesting to find how the author treated women in their stories. What is your take on how the authors treated women, despite the covers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hard to say since I have not actually had a chance to read these books. On one hand they may actually capture something in women that is found in modern romance / erotica, a taste of bondage and power games spicing up a love story. However, I suspect that most of this is really just the lowest common denominator of male fantasy written by men who lacked any kind of insight into women. What's your take?

    ReplyDelete